Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Newton Circus Food Centre, Singapore

Apart from Newton Circus Food Centre, I can't think of a better place for seafood. There could be others, of course. But so far, for a simple and reasonable seafood fare, NCFC serves my needs.

NCFC is famous for its cut-throat prices, especially if you are a tourist. And they are known to be rather aggressive and persistent in selling their fare to anyone who walks into the food centre. You will find menus thrust in your face, over-zealous promoters leading you to seats nearest their food stalls, cleaning even the seat just to make you feel welcomed and perhaps, indebted?

Being local, such tricks don't work on me. I would normally very politely smile and walk quickly away. I have a favourite stall. So I don't want to waste their time on me.

My favourite stall is unit no. 27. If you turn right upon entering the compound, you will see it. The stall owners do not aggressively promote their food. Unless you walk by or are near their stall, you won't see them roaming around the food centre thrusting menus in unsuspecting customers' faces.


Unit 27 is the stall on the right and it's called Alliance Seafood

I find their food alright. Good portioned and appertising. And once, when I was agonising over whether to order the smallest plate of cockles that cost $5 because my friend didnt want to share it with me, they offered me an even smaller portion at $3! That's what I call flexibility and great customer service!

Today when I dropped by for dinner, I noticed they now place their napkins and cutlery in a pencil holder! That's so attentive! In the past, napkins would fly all over when the breeze came!



Finally, if you are wondering what the prices are like, a plate of sambal kangkong cost $6, cockles $5 and sambal stingray $10. Rice is at $0.50 per portion.

This is their special chilli sauce that goes perfectly with the boiled cockles


Sambal kangkong

Boiled cockles. You can opt for half-cooked or fully cooked (I normally opt for the latter)

This is my favouriate - Sambal Stingray!

Very reasonable, isn't it?

Trips to NCFC is always pleasant because I know my favourite food stall will keep me a happy customer, making me want to keep going back for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment